It was in 1898 that Sconset cod fisherman Charles S. Glidden moved his fish market building away from the ocean to Steamboat Wharf. Glidden’s fish market was down there amidst the hustle of steamer ferries, the bustling fishing scene and the bike shops for over 100 years. Walter D. Glidden Jr., Charles’ grand son presided from 1952 to 1986, with a fine wit and his trading honed from a stint at New York’s famed Fulton Fish Market.
David Glidden entered the fishmongering trade in 1975, learned how to cut fish, shuck clams, and the subtle art of negiotiating with the fishermen. David perfected his recipes for smoking bluefish and quahog chowder. He completed training in Federal Seafood Safety at Boston in 1998.
In the year 2000, having long outgrown the steamship wharf location, we moved into the newly built seafood market at 117 Pleasant Street. Glidden’s now has better parking, housing for seasonal workers, a certified food service kitchen to cook lobsters, make chowder, crab cakes and lots of other goodies.
Click on the photos to enlarge!